Question:
what are the circumstances that can cause electrolyte of fluid imbalance?
iretithompson
2006-03-12 15:25:40 UTC
what are the circumstances that can cause electrolyte of fluid imbalance?
Three answers:
2006-03-12 16:12:07 UTC
There are several types of electrolytes that you can loose, for different reasons.

The major ones are -

Sodium loss: perspiration, urine, burns

Chloride Loss: vomiting, dehydration, and some diuretic medications

Potassium Loss: vomiting, diarrhea, chronic laxative use, a high sodium intake, some medications, colonic polyps, and through kidney disease

Calcium Loss: poor nutrition, kidney damage, pancreatitis, low levels of magnesium and vitamin D, and disorders that interfere with calcium absorption

Phosphate Loss: impaired kidney function, hypothyroidism, use of some medications especially theophylline, diuretics, and aluminum-containing antacids, poor nutrition, severe alcohol intoxication, diabetic ketoacidosis, and severe burns

Follow the links for more details. If you can suffer through the advertising, there are some gems in there
2016-05-20 01:26:14 UTC
Your new dr. is correct although I wouldn't freak out. I think if damage had been done it would have been acute i.e. kidney failure, seizures, etc. Problem is that babies kidneys are immature and water upsets their potassium levels (and something else I don't remember). This is what causes kidney damage. Once a baby starts solids they can have a little, maybe a tablespoon, of water. But prior to that it's unneccessary and dangerous. I would stop the water and tea until baby is older. Also, babies never gain "too much". They are perfect at regulating how much food they need and have times when they need more or less (growth spurts). filling him up with water does nothing but deprive him of the nutrients and fats he needs to develop well. If baby is having tummy problems try Gripe Water or gas drops. BTW, my son is 4.5 months and has more then tripled his birth weight. He has also grown 6.5 inches. And he is by no means an overweight baby. They need that extra weight to get them through the first 2 years of finicky eating anyway. Good luck!
2006-03-12 20:54:51 UTC
There are a lot of common things that cause electrolyte imbalance, including strenous regular exercise.

Taking a good multispectrum vitamin and mineral supplement can replace the minerals lost during such exercise. Write me (jstmother) at yahoo and I can point you at a source for such a product.